I know where I was...I was at Newport Beach in California! I was looking through my scrapbooks from my days with Camfel Productions and scanned some of the pictures from my scrapbooks. (I didn't have a digital camera back then.) I noticed that the date that was next to my pictures from Newport Beach was May 22, 1999! Tara and I just arrived back to CA from being in the midwest and were the first girl team to arrive at the office. This being the case, when we decided to go to the beach, it was the two of us and a few guy teams. Tara and Ben were dating at the time and decided to go for a walk on the beach by themselves leaving me with the guys. We had fun. We even met a guy who was playing worship songs on his guitar and joined him for awhile.

This is a long post. If you are interested in some of the places I travelled to during my 2 years with Camfel, feel free to read/look on...

When we were in the U.P. of MI, we saw the annual snow sculpture competition that takes place at one of the colleges. This is my favorite from that year.

Buffalo in South Dakota.

Some of us went to Knott's Berry Farm after returning to CA the first year.

Above and below...two set ups of our equipment. The top is the standard gym set-up. Below is a one-time balcony set-up. We had to take everything out of the boxes and balance them...praying hard that the projectors would not fall!

Andy and Lewis, one of the teams during my first year. They did shows in the area my parents live in and stayed with them while there. Andy loves trains and didn't sleep at all so he could watch all the trains that past by the house all night.

Kaylor and Tara. They were a team during the first semester. Tara and I were a team during the second semester when we switched partners. Kaylor also stayed at my parents house once on her way back to CA from traveling out east. I had already been home for about a week.

We stayed in Kenova, WV one night. Michael W. Smith is from there, so I thought it was cool to see where he grew up since I had grown up on his music.

Even though we had driven through the hometown of the author of the "Wizard of Oz", we discovered this mailbox in an entirely different state!

Tara and I went to REI and she went rock climbing. She tried to talk me into it as well. I refused. She continued to persuade me and I gave in and did it the next day. I made it up until I was about 5 feet from the top and Tara told me to look down. I lost it right then and decided to repel down. (I am afraid of heights.) Looking back, I wish I would have finished the last 5 feet. There could be a lesson in this...don't look down, it can cause you to stumble...I'll have to think about it a little more.

Periodically teams would be close enough to each other that we would meet up somewhere and hang out. Sometimes, the distance was irrelevant. There were times that Ben & Nick really were close. Other times, we would drive a couple hundred miles each to meet for the weekend since Tara and Ben were dating. One of the weekends we met up, Tara's parents also joined us. They introduced me to TGI Fridays, Bass Pro Shop (where this picture was taken), and Sonic Drive-In. (I really like the cherry lime-aides but do not care for their food.)

That weekend we also discovered a "fork in the road" and stopped to take a picture.

This was taken at my cousin Diane's house during the 2nd year. My partner that year, Lorraine, had never been out of southern CA and discovered snow for the first time in her life! She really liked shoveling the snow...which was a good thing since we were all out there several times that weekend trying to keep ahead of the snow. It snowed several inches to a foot in about a day and a half if I remember correctly.

I don't remember were or even what state this was located. I do know that we past it often. The first time we past, it was a snowman. By the time spring came around, it had turned into...

the Easter bunny!

Lorraine had two favorite past-times at the hotel...jumping on the beds and surfing on the ironing boards!

I either need to be taller or find a longer ice scraper. This was me on many a snowy and cold morning!

We visited the National Corvette Museum in KY. We even got to sit in the 2000 model car that had a serial number of all zeros!

This family lives in PA. Jason was one of the technicians during my 2nd year. He and Lorraine started dating during training. When we found out that Lorraine and I would be touring near their house, Jason's parents said that we could stay with them when in the area. The day before we were to stay with them the first time, Lorraine and Jason broke up and Lorraine didn't want to stay there. I am glad that I convinced her otherwise. We spent most a lot of weekends with them and became friends. I even stayed with them several times when I travelled to PA for TUFW.

We also were scheduled in the Buffalo, NY/Niagara Falls area quite a bit that semester. We visited the falls on both sides a couple of times. We enjoyed riding on the Maid of the Mist.

When we went to schools and churches, we usually got a crew of kids to help us set up and tear down. Here are two of our favorite crews above and below.

This is one of my favorite pictures of myself. (I usually do not like my pictures!) I'm not sure where we were traveling here, but we stopped to stretch our legs for awhile. We found this pipeline of sorts and I decided to pose for a picture.

As if I didn't already look younger than I was, sitting in Robert Wadlow's chair made me look like a little tot! FYI...Robert Wadlow is the tallest man to ever live according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

In Niagara Fall's, Canada. We posed in front of this Mounty that greeted visitors.

I got to visit Wall Drug Store several times over the 2 years. It is a cheesy tourist trap, but fun none the less. Here is are portions of some of my scrapbook pages. If you hadn't noticed, Lorraine has this thin for sticking her finger in noses!

There was this big hare in the backyard portion of Wall Drug. I decided to see if it would get me anywhere...but it was much much slower than any tortoise!

Wyoming Mountains

Monique, Jason, & me during training.

Tim and his wife Wendi. He was the my first boss after college. We got along really well. He is now a youth pastor.

During training the 2nd year, we all went to Corona Del Mar. We were going to have a cook-out. Patrick bought a new grill that needed assembled. It took hours for them to get it together. If you look closely, you will see the instructions setting next to the grill. They refused to use them. We finally ate...and it was good!

There is obviously no order to these pictures! The same trip to Knott's Berry Farm as the above picture...I ran into Chris Rice walking around the park. I got my picture taken with him. We were there the same day that they were having Christian music artists performing concerts around the park. I did attend his concert, but this picture was prior to the concert and he was really just walking around...I had no idea that he would be where he was at the time!

Tara posing under a tree branch at a plantation we visited in Louisiana.

Me at Mount Rushmore.

Tara is a Buddy Holly fan. I never heard of him before knowing her. When she realized we were going to be near the site where his plane crashed, we stopped and got directions to the memorial site. We were told to look for a guitar marking the spot. It took awhile to find for two reasons: 1) We were looking for an actual size guitar not this mini metal one; 2) we were not told we would need to walk about a quarter mile into someone's field to see it. (That is until we went back into town and asked why we were not finding it!)

We drove 500 miles to see the bridges of Madison County, Iowa and so that Ben and Tara could see each other again. Even though I did want to see the bridges, I really didn't want to go since I had to do all the driving (Tara couldn't drive the van) and it was in a big snow storm that police were encouraging people not to go out in. We did end up going, but only got to see one bridge. Once we were on the smaller roads where the bridges are located that I was finally able to convince them that it was too dangerous to continue. We made it safely without any accidents, but we did get stuck in a snow drift once and had to have one of the farmers pull us out with his tractor.





0 What are your thoughts?:
Post a Comment