Monday, June 15, 2009

Of Valiant Knights & Princesses

Last week during the Bible study that my sister and I did together, Beth Moore spoke about a book signing she did for the kids book she wrote.  The children were to dress up like a character in the book.  The girls chose to be princesses and all but the two boys who were princes were dressed up like valiant knights.  Not to be out done, Beth and her daughter dressed up like princesses too.  After the experience she wrote a poem about the event which she shared in the Bible study.  It spoke to me so much I teared up.  I would also like to share it with you; I hope Beth doesn't mind.
"Princesses and valiant knights standing there in line waist high;
The book to them not tale but true.
Their faithlessness held bay by youth;
Not one seemed dressed to play a part; 
All came as if they really are.
'Did you not know that I am a Knight?'
'That I give bad guys quite a fright?'
'And I was born to wear this dress;
Can't you see I'm a princess?'
'Yes! I see, I see it now!'
I just lost sight of how often this world makes Heaven feel so far 
And dims our view of who we are.
We read the book the kids and I;
We laughed and drank the punch bowl dry.
They've gone home now for royal ones waist high need baths as bedtime comes.
I walked back to my changing room 
And thought: 'Twas over way too soon!'
I looked in full-length mirror there.
I like my dress; I liked my hair.
'Lord, I don't want to take it off;
Put back on jeans and that old top.'
I swung my skirt then red-faced turned.
'You're middle-aged, you never learn.
It's just a costume, hang it up; return it to the rental shop.'
'Humph, my wedding dress was rented too.'
'Not that again,' said God, 'you who!'
'If you could see how dressed up you are in richest robes and royal garb,
You'd know that in the unseen world, no one sees a worn out girl.
My children wear Christ head to toe;
Untainted by accusing foe.
The only thing your age has done is dull your sense of royal blood.
Take lessons from those tiny knights and princesses crown and all waist high.
My Kingdom comes; My will soon done;
Your chambers wait my royal one!
Be humble servants on this earth
As princely feet wait Kingdom turf.
One day your dress ups won't be play;
You've royal blood now feel that way.
You've royal blood now feel that way.
You've royal blood now feel that way!'"

0 What are your thoughts?: