Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lessons from Philippians

Today at church, we finished our study of Philippians.  Paul's letter to the Philippians contains four chapters with a total of 104 verses.  What you may not realize is we began our study on June 1, 2008!  Even before this study, Philippians is the book of the Bible that I knew the best...sad to admit, it was more head knowledge than heart knowledge.  I am still in the process of taking these teachings and putting them to practice.  I am pressing on toward the goal because He who began a good work in me WILL complete it!
Here is a summary of our study...
Chapter 1: Partners Together
What would it be like if we realized we are not merely customers/employees but PARTNERS together?
What if the good work that God began in me is somehow connected to healing the broken world?  What is my passion/good thing?
Chapter 2: Upside Down Living
What would it be like if instead of pursuing the typical American dream we would look for ways to serve & give & love & find greatness redefined?
What if my decision to follow Jesus and make myself "nothing" could lead to a life filled with "everything"--(unimaginable joy, peace, comfort, celebration)?
Chapter 3: Pressing on Together 
Let's not give up!
What if I decide I REALLY want to KNOW Christ?  Not know more about Christ (facts)...but choose to really KNOW Him...let Him invade the darkest, deepest parts of my soul and my heart and let Him lead me from there; not from my head in a book, but from my head up following Him.  Choose to know Christ so well that I would sense His presence, His pleasure, and His leading intuitively.  It would be the most natural thing.
Chapter 4: Whatever
Whatever happens to you-rejoice!
Whatever happens to you: let your requests be known to God and don't worry.
Whatever happens to you: think about whatever is true, right, honorable...
Whatever happens to you: be content!
Whatever happens to you: trust in God's provision!
What if I start practicing the discipline of gentleness? Could I really have the peace of God?
How do I choose gentleness first?
Unclench your fist...unclench your heart; is there a gentle word you could bring here so that it is evident to all?
Paul encourages and reminds the Philippians throughout the letter who they are; who they could be; and how much God loves them.  This is true for us today.
This is my prayer for myself as well as you:
"And this is my prayer, that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-to the glory and praise of God."  Philippians 1:9-11

1 What are your thoughts?:

Arlona Mc said...

Thanks for sharing. I need to practice living it more in my life. My prayer is that Christ will be seen in my daily life and in my "little world".